8 oz. Self Raising Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 oz. Butter/margarine
2 tablespoons Sugar
2oz. Dried Fruit
1/4 pint Milk
2. Sift the flour, sugar and salt together.
3. Rub in the fat until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. In a jug whisk the egg and milk together.
5. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the fruit.
6. Stir in a little milk at a time to make a fairly soft dough.
7. Make sure the dough is not too sticky. You may find that you do not use all of the milk mixture or you may want to add a little more milk as your mixture is too dry.
8. Turn out onto a floured surface.
9. Knead very gently to removed any cracks or to bring the dough to a smooth dough.
10. Roll out gently. We like our scones to be 'tall and thick'.
11. Using a 2 inch cutter. Cut out scones and place on a greased baking tray.
12. Brush with any left over milk mixture or milk.
13. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown in the top of the oven.
14. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
15. Serve split with butter or jam and cream.