Thursday 5 June 2014

Work in Progress

I have been working on some new workshop samples that I will be teaching next month.  I cannot show you the projects until I have taught the workshops.
I have been layering up some previous workshop samples ready for quilting.  When I teach I always have several finish samples and some 'blue peter' samples.
The first photo is a disappearing nine patch cot quilt top made using only three fabric for the blocks.
The second photo is a simple large block quilt top using one pattern fabric and plain fabrics for for blocks and borders. 
I have tried several methods for layering up my quilt tops from using curved pins, large stitch tacking with thread to using tiny plastic tacks over the years. The method I use now is spray glue 505.  I lightly spray the wadding and apply the backing.  Then I spray the front of the wadding and apply the quilt top.  I use a large ruler to make sure that my blocks and borders are straight. Always spray in a well ventilated room. I can layer up several large quilt top or lots of small project with one small can of 505 spray.  If you can feel the glue on the wadding you have too much glue, spray very lightly.   
I love this method because the layers do not move as I machine quilt.  I always put a new needle in my sewing machine at the start of a new project and replace it after only eight to ten hours of sewing.  This is really important.  A new needle is the cheapest part of your sewing machine and can cause the most damage if neglected.            
I will leave these quilts hanging over the back of the sofa until I get time to quilt them, which will be after the exhibitions and my holiday.   


No comments: