Sunday 28 February 2016

Beef Stew with Suet Dumplings

I love to use my slow cooker.  This recipe is another family favourite.

Beef Stew

1lb Stewing Beef
2 Carrots Chopped
1 Onion Diced
1 tin of chopped Tomatoes (400g)
1 tin of Mixed Five Beans in Tomato Sauce
Cup of frozen diced Swede
Stock Cube
1 tablespoon Dry Mixed Herbs
1 tin of Potatoes (optional)

I like to prepare my slower cooker meal in the mornings.
1)   Switch on your slower cooker.  I have three settings on my cooker.  I always use the highest setting.
2)   Place the contents of the potatoes, tomato and mixed beans in the cooker.  Add the mixed herbs.
3)   Dry fry the stewing beef until brown.  Place in the cooker. I like drain off any excess fluids.
4)   Dry fry the carrot and onion together until soft.  Place in the cooker.
5)   Stir the stock cube in 300 mls of hot water.  Once again place in the cooker.
6)   Boil the diced swede for a few minutes.  It is not to cook the swede but to bring it up to room temperature.   And you have guess it, place it in the cooker.
7)   Give the stew a good stir.  Cook for four to six hours.

I often will use any vegetable that need eating in my slow cooker stews such as leeks, courgettes, peppers or left over cooked vegetables.  I never use potatoes other that tin variety.  I have found that they do not cook well and taste bitter.  Why not add a glass of wine or ale.
Dumplings

4oz Self Raising Flour
2oz Suet (Beef or Vegetable)
1 tablespoon of Mixed Herbs
A pinch of Salt
5 tablespoons of warm Water

1)   Sieve the flour into a bowl.
2)   Add the suet and herbs with a pinch of salt.
3)   Add the water and mix all the ingredients together.
4)   You may need to add a little extra water.  Mix with your hands as this will help to determine if more water is needed.
5)   Divide in to eight small balls.  My husbands loves dumplings so I make six balls from the mixture.
6)   Give the stew a good stir.  Add the dumplings and continue to cook for at least 30 or more minutes.  They are cooked by a steaming method so will not change colour, but they so remain soft and moist.

I often leave the stew with dumplings to cook for much longer.  It is all right to make the dumplings
when you have time and leave them cooking until you are ready to serve.  You can cooked dumplings recipe in an gas oven.  They will become crusty on the outside and brown in colour.

I hope your enjoy making and eating this stew.

No comments: