Thursday 27 February 2014

Disappearing Nine Parch

I had a wonderful time this morning teaching my disappearing nine sampler to Plymstock Patchers.  They are a very talented group of quilters that made me very welcome.
Please insert a new needle into your sewing machine before you start this project.  I cut  5 inch squares.  Sew the squares into rows using a traditional 1/4 inch patchwork seam allowance.  Remember to shorten your stitch length.  Press the seams of each row in opposite direction.
Sew the rows together.  Remember to match the seams at the centre square.  Press the seams towards the centre.  Measure the centre square and divide by half.  For example, my centre square now measure 4 1/2 inches - half is 2 1/4 inches.
Cut down the centre of your nine patch both vertical and horizontal.  Trim if needed.
Now arrange/twist the new blocks into a pattern you like.  I never arrange my block with seams matching. I will update this post with a picture of my arranged/twisted blocks in the next few days.
The picture of my finished table runner is made of scraps squares left over from another project.  I will also post other blocks that are made using the disappearing nine patch, so please come back soon. 

Plym Jar
One Table Topper £1.00

No comments: